Wholesome Generation™ (WG), is an innovative, solution-focused child education model with whole health and quality food at its nucleus.
To support healthy living in the Austin Community for all while cultivating the appreciation, nourishment and stewardship of the land for Generations to come.
BUILD LIFE-LONG HEALTHY HABITS: The goal of the Wholesome Generation program is to teach students and families about gardening, cooking, healthy eating and physical activity through the creation and maintenance of and organic garden and teaching of valuable life skills.
Increase Fruit and Vegetable Intake: 60% of youth do not meet daily recommendations for fruit intake. 93% of youth do not meet the recommendations for vegetable intake. WG’s initiatives and community outreach programs target youth and their families to enable them to take a proactive role in their health by sustainably growing, preparing and enjoying fresh organic produce daily.
Increase Physical Activity: Physical activity is key for both physical and mental health, but only about 25% of youth meet the physical activity recommendation of 60 minutes of moderate-to- vigorous physical
activity per day. Even worse, children are spending only half as much time outdoors in nature as they did 20 years ago. In a typical week, only 6% of children play outside on their own. WG connects children to nature by exploring our creek engaging in outdoor active play for healthy child development. In addition, WG offers aerial yoga and meditation daily.
CREATE OUR NEXT GENERATION OF HUMANITARIAN + SOLUTIONARISTS: Our wholesome programs are taught in a Reggio Emilia | STE(A)M focused and multi-lingual setting to encourage students and our community to create cross-cultural relationships, and growing the model organically. WG supports healthy lives and fosters the appreciation of the nourishment and stewardship of the land for generations to come.
- Respecting Each Child: We offer an environment in which children are valued and thereby motivated to make choices and to explore answers without intimidation. Learning is collaborative with the teacher listening to the child and their questions with respect, uncovering interests and searching for answers together.
- Supporting Health: Physical and emotional health is essential for students to reach their full potential. Since its launch, the program has set out to break the cycle of pre-packaged, heat and serve, overly processed food, typical of school dining. We offer many opportunities for physical activity and a social-emotional learning curriculum designed to support the emotional health of each students.
- Social Collaboration: Learning is collaborative with the. Student have the autonomy to pick their own topics to explore, stimulating their sense of competence and ownership over their learning.
- Creative Communication: Children use language to investigate, reflect on learning, ask questions and share learning. We provide opportunities to express their creativity in many forms such as language, art, theater, movement, music etc.
- An Enriching Environment: We believe we shortchange our children when we provide them with an uninspiring learning environment. Stimulating environments centered on hands-on learning are essential for growth. Our research-based approach provides the necessary resources and time for investigative play and experimentation.
- Documentation: It is important to visually show the child’s learning process by documenting their thoughts, questions, investigations through photographs, writing, drawings, etc. We seek to make learning visible for parents and for our students.