I recently came across an article in the “L Style/G Style” Austin Magazine Re: Dodging Diabetes and thought I’ve post some great guidelines to prevent and treating type 2 diabetes – see the full article at www.lstylegstyle.com
- Eat a low-fat, high-fiber diet including plenty of raw fruits, vegetables and vegetables juices. This reduces the need for insulin, reduces blood-sugar surges and lowers the level of fats in the blood.
- Avoid or minimize high-glycemic foods such as white rice, white flour products, pasta, starchy vegetables and many processed foods. These are quickly converted into blood sugar during digestion, causing insulin levels to shoot up.
- Supplement your diet with foods that help normalize blood-sugar levels such as berries, eggs, cheese, fish, leafy green vegetables, garlic, legumes, brewer’s yeast, soy-beans and spirulina (gotta love the green machine!).
- Avoid trans-fats, hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils and simple sugars. Instead, consume beneficial fats such as olive oil, fish oil, almond oil, avocado oil, sesame oil, flax oil, sunflower oil and pumpkin oil.
- Exercise regularly (!).
- Consider using herbs that are known to modulate blood-sugar levels: gymnema sylvestre, bitter melon, fenugreek and bilberry extract.
- Consider supplementing your diet with vitamins and minerals.